permaculture - Re: Veggies in natural succession- info?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: j.cropper@trinidad.net (John Cropper)
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Veggies in natural succession- info?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:02:09 -0500

Marsha Hanzi

>This weekend 8-9 april I will be giving a course on organic gardens, from
>the viewpoint of how each vegetable fits into ecologic succession, where it
>comes from, its native habitat,etc. I have reasonable information, but
>would be most grateful if any of you know of a goldmine of this kind of
>information ( where the plants come from, who domesticated them, etc.)

Purseglove's Tropical Crops 'Monocotyledons 1 & 2' and 'Dicotyledons 1 & 2'
published by Longmans Green i 1968 has some of this information

There's also some in 'Plants for People' by Anna Lewington, published by
Natural History Museum, London in 1990

>Ernst Gotsch has been working them into his agroforet succession, when he
>renews a field, with considerable success. We are interested in creating
>permanent systems for vegetables which mock the natural agroforest
>succession...

I would be interested to hear more about this

John Cropper