permaculture - Re: Bamboo on drain field?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Bamboo on drain field?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 13:18:48 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Lamb-Vines wrote:

> I am seeking information on using bamboo on a septic drain field. I
> live in a semi-arid environment with winters that have hard
> freezes(down to 0*f). Is there a variety that will do well with wet
> feet but not much rainfall throughout the year? I would also like it
> to act as a windbreak, so I would need it to grow at least 8' tall.
> First of all though, if I do grow bamboo over a septic drainfield will
> the root system of the bamboo stop up the drain field, or will the
> bamboo do no harm? Anybody know the answers to these questions? If
> so let me know.
>
> Eleyballel

See:

http://metalab.unc.edu/london/constructed-wetlands-links.html

and:

There are specific references on using certain species of bamboo in
constructed wetlands here:

http://metalab.unc.edu/permaculture/documents/constructed-wetlands.txt

Lawrence

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden
/permaculture /intergarden/orgfarm /ecolandtech
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu

  • Re: Bamboo on drain field?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/27/1999