permaculture - Re: Moles and grubs, etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Moles and grubs, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:23:28 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/99 8:51:39 PM, John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com
writes:

<<Aloha,

I'm seeking info on moles and grubs, namely:

Since moles are insectivores and don't eat my garden plants, is there any
reason I should try and eliminate them from my garden soil? They take out a
plant or two if they tunnel through root areas, that's the only damage so
far. Do they eat beneficial insects? Naughty insects? Both?

They eat grubs - what roles do grubs play in my soil? Good, bad,
indifferent...?

If I wanted to keep moles out, what have people found to work (Pacific NW
USA)? Noisemakers, castor oil, flooding, etc.

thanks,
John Schinnerer>>

Hi John:
Well first there are moles and there are moles. In some parts of the
USA, moles are indeed insectiverous. In other places, what people call moles
are herbiverous, feeding on roots, tubers, and your freshly planted seeds.
Assuming that your moles are of the insectiverous variety, they will do
damage to roots cut as they make their tunnels. In an ample and productive
garden, this should be a minor concern. My understanding is that the moles
eat mainly grubs, meaning subterranean insect larvae of various sorts.
Grubs include "cut worms" that can be a real problem in some gardens and any
control is welcome.
When I lived in Massachusetts, which was for many years, we had moles but
never enough to be more than sort of interesting. Maybe a few plants got
overstressed from root trimming, but anything that eats cutworms is fine with
me. If you have to ask if they are a problem, they are NOT a problem. Let
them be. They are not a complete control on cutworms, but they are part of a
complete control package. As your control becomes more thorough, the moles
will move on to grubbier pastures.

For Mother Earth
Dan Hemenway