permaculture - Moles and grubs, etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Moles and grubs, etc.
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:48:48 -0700

Aloha,

I'm seeking info on moles and grubs, namely:

Since moles are insectivores and don't eat my garden plants, is there any
reason I should try and eliminate them from my garden soil? They take out a
plant or two if they tunnel through root areas, that's the only damage so
far. Do they eat beneficial insects? Naughty insects? Both?

They eat grubs - what roles do grubs play in my soil? Good, bad,
indifferent...?

If I wanted to keep moles out, what have people found to work (Pacific NW
USA)? Noisemakers, castor oil, flooding, etc.

thanks,
John Schinnerer