permaculture - Re: urban permaculture in Australia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul Osmond" <p_osmond@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: urban permaculture in Australia
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 01:22:26 PST

Louise:

There is an small but active and enthusiastic group of community
gardeners/permaculturists associated with the University of New South
Wales (Randwick), where I work. Some are students or ex-students, some
work there and others just live nearby (including some fantastic older
locals with a wealth of gardening experience). We are looking to
establish an "EcoLiving" project involving the existing permaculture
gardens and a residential property which backs on to the gardens, both
of which are owned by the University. The gardens are open to all and
there are almost always people around there on the weekends - drop by
and you will be made welcome! Address is rear of No 14 Arthur St,
Randwick (sign at the gate will point you in the right direction).

Cheers, Paul Osmond

>From: Louise Crabtree <lcrabtre@laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
>To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [permaculture] urban permaculture in Australia
>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:48:18 +1100 (EST)
>
>Dear all
>
>Hello! My name's Louise and I'm a relative newcomer to the list, as
well
>as to permaculture, although I've been in a slowly decreasing orbit
around
>it for a few years. I'm living in inner Sydney with my partner, where
>we're slowly converting the kikuyu monster that was in the yard into
some
>form of permaculture. At the moment, we're doing this by ourselves,
>which we're not very happy with, so part of the reason I'm posting this
is
>to get in touch with fellow permaculture people and to invite anyone in
>the Sydney area to get in touch - we like excuses to give people some
>hospitality and we're very keen to get some
advice/friends/reprimands(?).

>As well as the backyard extravaganza, I am about to embark on an
Honours
>thesis regarding how we go about converting idle urban land
>(especially land in the hands of institutions such as the SRA/Water
>Board) into growing spaces, namely community permaculture gardens.
>I'm interested in things like the gardens South Sydney Council are
>involved in, as well as anything resembling allotment systems - are
there
>any in Australia??? What I'm after is stories, contacts, ideas,
inspiration, info,
>interested people, whatever, concerning any such projects in urban
areas
>of Australia.
>
>So hopefully, I will hear something back and find out who some of you
>lovelies are. Please, inundate me!
>
>Looking forward to some good conversations.
>
>Louise.
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: p_osmond@hotmail.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')