permaculture - Re: indigenous permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: DRush35007@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: indigenous permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:10:57 EST

<< And to top it off,
the foods from my local area (Sydney), with the exception of lilly
pilly (a berry from a tree) aren't available in the shops. I don't
think there's anything else. Most of the foods I see on the shelves
are either tropical or desert.

Hey sounds like a market niche to be exploited. oh no! I have been here too
long and I am thinking like a capitalist.

As for doing permaculture on a 1/2 acre, there are people doing it on
less. I'm not really "there" yet, my place is a slow evolution, but
it's getting there. I have a boggy area, and I'm going to put in
something for water plants down the track.

That is encouraging to hear. With the house and the shed (which is concrete
slab, brick wall, very substantial) already in place, it limits the design
process. I am also trying to decide if I should stay in a regular 9 to 5 job,
and develop the property in my free time, or try to make my living growing and
selling food. Obviously very different scenarios.

Thanks for the reply, and good luck with the local plants. Hopefully it is a
great reconnecting.

Dave