permaculture - [permaculture] Re: indigenous permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Julanna Hennessy" <jhenness@ilanet.slnsw.gov.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: indigenous permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:05:50 EST+10

Hello Dave,

I think Americans have a bit of an advantage over
Australians simply because so much of the indigenous foods were
incorporated into the diet. Of course they were incorporated into
the Australian diet too in the process! The same didn't happen with
Australian foods, a colonial blind spot I think. "Bush foods" have
started to become more popular in some circles, but they tend to be
very expensive to buy, very much gourmet items. And to top it off,
the foods from my local area (Sydney), with the exception of lilly
pilly (a berry from a tree) aren't available in the shops. I don't
think there's anything else. Most of the foods I see on the shelves
are either tropical or desert.

I had to do quite a lot of searching to find a list that would suit
me, and my requirements are: from my local area, fit into a suburban
yard, doesn't require any more processing than my regular food, and
is palatable. Luckily I've been collecting books for years, and I
already owned most of the ones I needed. And then, of course, I had
to find the plants! Most of them are not in the regular nurseries,
so now I know where all the native plants nurseries are close by. I
just don't have the time to go looking for them myself. I think
there's one web site that has been developed since I made up my list.
I could have used them about 2 years ago! I'm slowly building up my
collection. Two of my plants have died, my acacia and my lilly
pilly, but my native mint, appleberry, midyim (berry) and native
cranberry are coming along nicely, and seeing as I live across the
road from a large semi wild park, I thought I might plant some of the
tree size plants over there. This reminds me to go native plants
shopping this weekend.

As for doing permaculture on a 1/2 acre, there are people doing it on
less. I'm not really "there" yet, my place is a slow evolution, but
it's getting there. I have a boggy area, and I'm going to put in
something for water plants down the track.

Good luck with yours.
Jules

> Is anyone trying to do permaculture with indigenous plants / animals?
>
> Hey Jules, Dave here in Oklahoma City USA. I am very new to PC and am not
> sure how much PC I am going to be able to practice here om my half acre lot
> in
> suburbia, living in a traditional built wood frame house. However I am
> interested in the ideas of PC, and plan to one day earn my living growing
> food. I am in South West USA, which is a fairly arid part of the world.
> There is growing interest in this part of the world in plants that were
> traditionaly grown by native north and south American peoples. I have just
> received my first seeds of Amaranth, Quinoa, maize, tomatillo, tomatos etc.
> Two organizations that I contacted were Native Seed Search
> www.azstarnet.com/~nss/, and seeds of change - www.seedsofchange.com. This
> is
> my first year growing, so my knowlege is very limited.
>
> dave

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu