permaculture - Re: flowering quince suppression/removal?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul and Sandra" <crows@tkc.att.ne.jp>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: flowering quince suppression/removal?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:44:55 +0900

sounds like the issue is time, not quince. Ive never met a real stump that
was easy to remove. Sounds like an experiment in determination. In my
experience as a residential landscaper drastic-ness comes from the human
desire/need and is seldom fixed through a technique.

-a quince coppice as a annual source of cut flowers or forced brances, or
basket materials? does it bloom on first year wood or mature spurs?
-take an axe and cut out the crown and put down a sheet mulch and see what
happens. Utilize the regrowth as mulch, or grub up the survivors.
-if its rapid and easy murder your contemplating, which is worse,
glysophate, backhoe or failure?
-tether your goat next to it, throw an old piece of carpet over it or
otherwise let that root system drain itself of energy with an impossible
task for a while rather then attacking it when its fresh, that quince has
been preparing all these years for precisely this scenario.
-just break down, invite a friend over some weekend, get some beer, picks
and fire axes and bust butt with a machismo smile. (note: this listserve
does not condone using heavy bludgoning tools under the influence of
fermented grain)

:) paul