permaculture - Re: Anger - Ecofascism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@wombat.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Anger - Ecofascism
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:21:32 -0800

At 01:31 AM 3/30/98 -0500, Lee Flier wrote:
>Excellent post David! And this is exactly the kind of thing I was
>referring to. Too many effective "movements" end up getting completely
>watered down and unable to achieve their original purpose because people
>prefer "niceness" and security to combativeness and risk.

That's funny....I've believed, for some years now, that too many movements
end up losing their positive vision to excessive anger, and instead of
remaining for something positive, become yet another "anti-something"
movement.

Which, IMHO, plays right into the hands of the dominant, "zero-sum",
conflict-driven paradigm. "We have met the enemy and he is us".

People also
>prefer rigid, black-and-white answers to complex problems, and a good angry
>diatribe tends to remind everyone that their dogma is not so safe. :-)

Or it tends to force the discussion into oversimplified black-and-white
terms and thus rob it of its power. Not to mention putting it back into the
"turf" of the dominant, anti-cooperative culture.

Walk in balance,

Loren
--
Loren Davidson