permaculture - RE: Seeking Web page input

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: April Sampson-Kelly <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • Subject: RE: Seeking Web page input
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:33:29 +-1000

Hi April,

I hadn't heard of your project before getting the previous mailing. Are you
working on software for Permaculture or a book relating to P.? I'd be
interested in hearing the basics of your project.

Thanks,

Larry Berlin

Email: lberlin@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~lberlin/

The work to date has been on PDC text - about 400 pages with pictures
illlustrations, designs etc.
This is our information bank to be used for the software package
I have had correspondence students to use the text, test it
for a 'plain English' approach and understandability.
The long term aim is to publish a software package with the information
presented in info-tainment style.
It will be modular starting with a single solar passive, chemcial free
productive home and system. Then we will do same for various climates
and conditions.
It shall grow to a village then onto a global perspective.
April
my personal problem to date with a software package is that there is
little on the market for women, even games such as SIm isle
have mainly male useful agents and money and construction is god.
so There is little reason for me to expect that this project
will encourage women to use software for informatin gathering,
and as most of my students are
women - 75%, and I know that most women are in control of consumption
and waste generation, I could be barking up the wrong tree!!!
PS.
All this will take a long time but we like to work at our own pace
and having considered applying for funds, we were scared off by
deadlines and other peoples goals. One funding body -the main
Environmental body in Australia - turned out to have fundamental
differences - they promote the use of herbiscides even those with
frog-killing surfactants as for them - the end justifies the means.
April