permaculture - Re: design courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: cleone@ozonline.com.au (carmela leone)
  • To: Jeff Jacobsen <jjj@otter.wsipc.wednet.edu>, carmela leone <cleone@ozonline.com.au>
  • Cc: PERMACULTURE-MG@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: design courses
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 05:42:44 +1100

Jeff!

You think I would know my own URL! (I'm so embarassed) Sorry for the
inconvenience.

'Permaculture is a design system for creating sustainable human
environments' is one of Bill Mollison's definitions.

Carmela
At 10:43 AM 11/9/95 -0800, Jeff Jacobsen wrote:
>Thanks Carmela,
>
>Now I need some time to read the info. Your definition seems to boil
>down to a systems apporach. Look at the whole picture and all the
>interactions before messing with it. Life is not just a sequence of
>cause and effects. But before I say much more, I'm going to take some
>time this weekend and read your stuff a bit closer. What I really trying
>to do is zero in on what is unique about permaculture and what
>ideas/patterns are common to other systems of thought. I suspect many of
>us take a permaculture approach without calling it that.
>
>BTW The correct URL for Carmela's web page is
>http://www.ozonline.com.au/permaculture/index.html
>

>Jeff Jacobsen jjj@otter.wsipc.wednet.edu
>
>On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, carmela leone wrote:
>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> If I may take this opportunity to shamelessly 'plug' my Home Page...
>>
>> http://www.ozonline.permaculture/index.html
>>
>> ...look at my Design project - using David Holmgren's principles, my
>> project
>> is titled 'Permaculture Principles applied towards developing a sustainable
>> family unit'.
>>
>> If you look at my approach you'll see that I use observation of patterns as
>> a basis for my design.
>>
>> Carmela
>> At 03:04 PM 11/8/95 -0800, Jeff Jacobsen wrote:
>> >Along these same lines, could someone review the basic principles upon
>> >which permaculture is based. If I recall correctly these principles are
>> >applicable to areas other than agriculuture. Or, another take might be
>> >to try to abstract some of the recurring patterns that are essential to
>> >permaculture.

'The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings'.
Masanobu Fukuoka - 'The One-Straw Revolution'
Carmela Leone
Email: cleone@ozonline.com.au
Home Page: http://www.ozonline.com.au/permaculture/index.html