permaculture - The propaganda machine

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gil@landmark.iinet.net.au (Gil Hardwick)
  • To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: The propaganda machine
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 12:40:51

It is not really so astonishing how effective the orthodox propaganda
machine is; we all ought to know better by now, shouldn't we.

It took less than one generation for the founder of Permaculture to
be rejected as one of the planet's great ogres, even among those who
have since adopted what they believe to be his philosophy. At every
point the minor faults on his personality are exposed in an attempt
to show that since he is not a saint, then he must be the very devil
himself.

At every point we find his arguments being turned upside down and used
against him. At every turn today we find these "adult educators" now
running Permaculture Design Courses, whose own ancestry can be traced
to include the worst of the land speculators and exploiters and whose
business contacts read like a Who's Who of world capitalism, taking
the opportunity to criticise and abuse the person whose wisdom they
advertise themselves to be teaching.

For your own sakes wake up to the fraud here. Bill Mollison is only a
human being like the rest of us. What he has taught us is essentially
human, and points out to us our human place in the wider scheme of
nature. That Permaculture can be interpreted as such a heresy against
orthodox Christianity is what appears to have attracted to it such an
otherwise unaccountably bitter condemnation from the Powers That Be.

We are every last one of us being treated like the traditional and
indigenous peoples everywhere, in the face of increasing industrial
expansion and destruction of our villages and rural communities we,
like Mollison himself, grew up in. Here in this country we are facing
record levels of land clearing, and where I am the rural suicide rate
is running at 250% over the past two years.

Yet here I am being told to unsubscribe from this Permaculture list.

What hope do we have? By following such paranoid hype and propaganda
none whatsoever. If you remain in doubt, why don't some of you read
Wendell Berry and Wes Jackson in the US?

"I consider the class of artificers as the panders of vice, and the
instruments by which the liberty of a country are generally overturned.
. . . the long succession of years of stunted crops, of reduced prices,
the general prostration of the farming business under levies to support
the manufacturers, etc., with calamatous fluctuations of value in our
paper medium, have kept agriculture in a state of abject depression."
Thomas Jefferson, 1826