permaculture - Re: Soil Quality-->Fiber Hemp

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: steved@ncatfyv.uark.edu (Steve Diver)
  • To: permaculture-mg@twosocks.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Cc: london@sunsite.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Soil Quality-->Fiber Hemp
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:39:52 -0600 (CST)

> I ask this question because the South Australian State Government has just
> approved the planting of test crops.
>
> Have any of you considered Hemp as a food crop? It is becoming more widely
> considered as a substitute fibre crop instead of cotton.

As a farm advisor, I've looked into hemp as a viable farm crop
and can offer a few tidbits.

Hemp had been grown in France as a fiber crop for decades
according to an article in "Sustainable Farming" published
by REAP-Canada (one of the best sustainable ag periodicals
too, BTW).

Also, regulations have already passed Parliament or are
in discussion as to the production of low-THC hemp strains
as a fiber crop in Canada. This would be done on a
licensed basis by farmers.

It seems that a major factor is the ability for society
and government to make the distinction between production
of a farm crop--fiber hemp--with its illegal cousin,
marijuana. On quick observation, the political climate
in the U.S. does not appear to be ripe for any action in this
direction very soon.

The last Surgeon General, Joycelyn Elders, supported
reopening the medical marijuana program, and many
hemp supporters were hoping this would loosen up
agricultural hemp regulations

The main point for farmers and others investigating this
crop is that fiber hemp production is based on strains of
low-THC Cannabis. [THC being the drug derived from
marijuana].

One company in Canada is working with Cannabis germplasm to
specifically combine high quality fiber and LOW-content THC.

Plenty of information and data about the fiber quality of hemp is
available. Old USDA Bulletins and Yearbooks are a good
source of data. It also has uses as a birdseed crop, as an
oil crop, fuel crop, etc.

In the U.S., at least a half-dozen companies already
sell hemp products. These products are perfectly legal.
The hemp itself is raised in largely the 2/3rds World
(with developed countries barely making up the 1/3 World in
real comparisons), and raw material shipped into the U.S.
Products include clothes, hats, fiber bags, birdseed,
oil, etc., etc.

Please note: any discussion of alternative fiber crops
should include a mention of kenaf, Hibiscus cannabinus.
Kenaf has been thoroughly researched by USDA and a
number of land-grant universities. This research
dates back to the late 50s and early 60s, but it takes
so long to bring an alternative crop in commercialization
that it is just now coming on-line with any significant
acreage to speak of. Processing facilities and product
marketing are the main hindrances; production technology is
the least limiting factor, as usual.

Crotalaria, or Sunn Hemp, was another crop that looked promising
to the USDA, but kenaf apparently gained the edge.

Kenaf is a fine crop that can go a long way towards
solving needs in agriculture and forestry, but in reality
we need to be careful that it doesn't become just another
drain on the environment where nitrogen fertilizers, nematicides,
defoliants, and monocultures become the norm.

Widespread adoption of hemp would entail the same
pitfalls, no doubt.

  • Re: Soil Quality-->Fiber Hemp, Steve Diver, 02/20/1995