percy-l - [percy-l] The Last Gentleman

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Michael Martin Serafin <michael_serafin AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] The Last Gentleman
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 17:31:33 +0000

I am making my way through Percy's writings in order of publication. I just finished "The Last Gentleman" for the first time. Now, I am an elderly northeastern working-class Pole with a high-school education, who makes minimum- wage, and likes to read. I love Percy's elegant turns of phrase, but, some of his characters sail over my head. Binx Bolling's aunt was one of them. This time, it's Sutter. I like him for his intellect, but not for his sociopathic self-absorption. That said, Will Barrett's behavior throughout the novel also had me scratching my head. I am not as highly educated as most, if not all, on this listserv. I am moving onto "Love In The Ruins" as soon as it gets delivered , hopefully this week.

Michael Serafin
Chicopee, MA.