percy-l - Re: [percy-l] quote source

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT stokeswagner.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] quote source
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:25:50 +0000

Quote-accuracy aside, this an interesting idea from both Percy and
O¹Connor, and reminds me of an observation I once heard or read, somewhere
‹ my spin of which is: One sign of a capable mind, or of at least a
careful mind, is the ability to distinguish the things you don¹t know.
Far too many fail to understand this, and get themselves in all kinds of
trouble.

Percy and O¹Connor, though, speak to a higher ambition ‹ the undertaking
of a search to identify the things we know, but as to which ‹ while stuck
in our everydayness ‹ we didn¹t realize we knew, or were perhaps unable to
know.

Karl