percy-l - Re: [percy-l] quote source

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT stokeswagner.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com" <janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com>, "Percy-L@" <"Literary andPhilosophicalDiscussionpercy-l"@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] quote source
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 16:30:09 +0000

Rumsfeld?  Doubtful.  He's a Knothead.

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Lauren Stacy Berdy <lauren.stacy.berdy AT gmail.com> wrote:

shock of recognition is talked about in his interview with Zoltan abadi-nagy

about the quote know it but can't place it.........

and
do we think Rumsfeld read Dr. Percy?

On 5/26/2015 11:12 PM, janetcantor37--- via Percy-L wrote:
1735846165.125.1432696321309.JavaMail.yahoo AT mail.yahoo.com" type="cite">
Whatever I looked up, it only listed the quote as one of Percy's famous ones. It gave no source so I am assuming he said it in a speech at some point.
Janet Cantor

From: Skip Collins <skip.collins AT gmail.com>

Hello, I am new to the list, but have been reading Percy since
college, around 1987.

Percy's 99th birthday this week prompted me to search for a quote I
have seen attributed to him:
"Fiction doesn’t tell us something we don’t know, it tells us
something we know but don’t know that we know."

I have not been able to locate a source for the quote.

This paradoxical idea of "unknown knowns" fills a gap in the
Rumsfeldian epistemology of "known knowns," "known unknowns," and
"unknown unknowns."

Can anyone provide the source for the quote above? The closest I could
find was from an interview he gave in the Paris Review in 1987,
reprinted in More Conversations with Walker Percy:
"The most commonplace example of the cognitive dimension in fiction is
the reader’s recognition---sometimes the shock of recognition---the
"verification" of a sector of reality that he had known but not known
that he had known. I think of letters I get from readers, which may
refer to a certain scene and say, in effect, yes! that’s the way it
is!"

--
skip
* Percy-L Discussion Archives: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/percy-l/

* Contact the Moderator: percy-l-owner (at) lists.ibiblio.org

* Visit The Walker Percy Project: http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy

* Percy-L Discussion Archives: http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/percy-l/

* Contact the Moderator: percy-l-owner (at) lists.ibiblio.org

* Visit The Walker Percy Project: http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy

--
Lauren Stacy Berdy
Lauren.Stacy.Berdy AT gmail.com