percy-l - Re: [percy-l] lancelot

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Beck, David A" <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • Cc: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] lancelot
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:48:59 -0500

Thanks, Rhonda. Yeah, I told him (my student) there is a Hamlet theme ("old mole") in one of his books, either LG or SC. The Hamlet motif is interesting, in the father/son thing. Obviously, Hamlet's father didn't commit suicide, but Percy's did. That "old mole" reference is interesting on several levels.

-David

Quoting RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>:

Like Jim, I don't know the answer, but the question has me thinking.
If no one has done a Percy/Shakespeare study, it could be worth
someone's time (assuming they have more time than me). There's the
Hamlet motif in The Second Coming, and if we thought about it
collectively there might be other cases of intertextuality or
allusion in the other novels. Hmmmm . . . anyone?

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in
spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the
faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

Walker Percy