percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer one of Top 100 books of all time

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer one of Top 100 books of all time
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:24:21 -0700

Thanks for posting the link Karey.  I don't even think it's his best book.  Here's a discussion topic that might wake our list up:  Which book is WP's best? What makes you think so?  For pure pleasure I like THE SECOND COMING best (l like the love story: I'm a girl that way!).  But as for his best, I cast my vote with LANCELOT. It marks a crucial turning point in his writing, has as strong a philosophical underpinning as MOVIEGOER, and as far as pure literary merit, it's crafted better than the others--even MOVIEGOER.  I'd place MOVIEGOER second.  What do the rest of y'all think?

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

                                    Walker Percy