percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Naked Ape's Triadic Threshold

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: <robert.g.eckert AT us.army.mil>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Naked Ape's Triadic Threshold
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 18:42:48 -0600

John Harvey asks:

> How does Percy explicitly suggest that symbol use is related to
> "the
> triadic threshold?" Or, are there secondary sources for this
> connection? In either case, I would appreciate knowing where I can
> get more information on these ideas.

I'm going on memory here-- I'm pretty sure "A Semiotic Primer of the Self"
speaks to this connection.

The origin of symbol use is identical to the crossing of the triadic
threshold. At some point our brain evolved the ability to synthesize the
triadic relation between signifier and signified, linguistic signs and their
referents. At that point we evolved a new mode of being.

I tried dealing with this subject in "Walker Percy and the Mind/Body Problem'
June 1999 International Philosophical Quarterly. [shameless self-promotion]
Pretty naive writing on subjects I didn't really understand.

I know Percy deals with the subject in essays in The Message in the Bottle
also.

This triadic threshold question is THE question. I have to think that
understanding where we come from will help us know where we are going.

Spc Robert Eckert
172 Chemical Corp
Ft. Riley, Kansas 66442