percy-l - Re: [percy-l] thanks and hello (Fwd for Larry Rhu)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Henry P. Mills" <wpercy2 AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: percy-l <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] thanks and hello (Fwd for Larry Rhu)
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:58:07 -0500

From: "Lawrence Rhu" <RhuL AT gwm.sc.edu
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:49:10 -0400
To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: thanks and hello

Thank you, Henry, for the welcome, and hello all.

What a delight to open my email and find these various messages about
Percy. With the necessary chores of my school year bearing down on me
at the moment, I am a bit preoccupied with getting things done in that
regard that I have been putting off or simply unable to attend to, but I
have nonetheles been rereading Lancelot and The Thanatos Syndrome with
gratitiude and pleasure. The 6/23 Connection show about The Moviegoer
was also interesting to hear. I was struck once again how the intimacy
that Percy achieves with his readers can make us confuse his characters
(and in this case his narrator) with the author himself. Good to know
about Peter Lawler. I read Carl Elliott's Better than Well this spring
and both enjoyed and admired it. To my mind, there is a lot of smart
stuff about Percy in it.

Larry

Lawrence F. Rhu
Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Tel: 803 777 0144
Fax: 803 777 9064