percy-l - [percy-l] Introduction

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Matthew James Sitman <mjs83 AT georgetown.edu>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] Introduction
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:45:41 -0400

I recently joined Percy-L and after glancing through the archives found it
was customary to provide a short introduction.

Currently I am a graduate student pursuing a Ph.D. in the Dept. of Government
at Georgetown University, where my major field of study is political theory.
I came to Percy through the work of Peter Lawler, particularly his book
Aliens in America: The Strange Truth About Our Souls. After reading more of
Dr. Lawler's writings (and hearing him speak on a few occasions) and seeing
Percy show up time after time, I decided to explore Percy for myself.

By the end of this summer I should finish my first reading of all of Percy's
fiction, though I started with and have given significant time to his
non-fiction work.

Percy has already become an important figure in my intellectual development
and I am looking forward to the discussions this group has to offer. As I am
23 years old I am especially interested in learning from those who have been
thinking longer than I about what Percy has to teach we denizens of the 21st
century.

Best,

Matt Sitman
mjs83 AT georgetown.edu

  • [percy-l] Introduction, Matthew James Sitman, 07/31/2005