percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Kramer's new book

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: <Robert_Pauley AT oxy.com>
  • To: <juliorivas AT gmail.com>, <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Kramer's new book
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:00:54 -0700

When I posited this idea I was thinking more about the list of annoying pop
culture figures I've heard fatuously praise Percy (Bruce Springsteen, Mary
Chapin Carpenter, Moby) than serious literary critics, who no one reads
anyway. Percy as a darling of rich and rather sanctimonious left-leaning
artists is kind of amusing. But I agree with Julio. What's interesting though
is how many people who gush over Percy also, it would appear at least from
the transcripts of their enthusiasm, get him wrong or inadequately. It is one
thing to put down a Percy book before finishing it or dismiss him once you're
done with it for the reasons of existential discomfort Julio cites, but it is
another to embrace him passionately and still miss the point. An addition to
the examples above would be Robert Coles. Percy, I believe, at one point,
expressed a certain mild bewilderment at Coles' failure to grasp what he was
about. I believe he once said (in his correspondence with Foote) something to
the effect that Coles never understood his occasional impulse to tie a
weighted bucket around his neck and throw himself into the bayou creek behind
his house. But maybe somehow this paradox of interpretation is bound up in
the paradox of expression. Percy's paradox, e.g., the "upside-downness" of
modern life, feeling bad in so-called good environments, the assault of the
"ravenous particles" of everydayness (as in Will Barrett's "seizure" at the
Museum and Sutter Vaught's post-coital suicide attempt in the motel room),
the deaths-head of despair that attends family holiday celebrations (the
"Norman Rockwell paradox") and all the other many permutations of this idea
may be hard to get. A lot of the people I've heard praising Percy talk more
about his "humanism" than the dark involutions and ironies that lead him
there, or to his splendid skewering of both the "good liberal life" with its
zeal of compassion and good intentions as well as the country-club Republican
life with its empty zeal of golf-course banter and GE Medallion homes.

It's not as if the critiques I read are malicious or grossly wrong. They
simply seem to miss a hemisphere of Percy's world. So be it. I am reminded of
a moment in Jean Renoir's film "Grand Illusion" when the German commandant
overhears a pseudo-intellectual prisoner express excited analytical praise
for Pindar. The commandant shakes his head. "Poor Pindar," he mutters, and
walks on. But Pindar will survive and so will Percy.

(Of course, perhaps they would say I'm the one getting him wrong)