percy-l - [percy-l] Percy's prose

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: marcus AT loyno.edu
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Percy's prose
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:30:49 -0500

Karl wrote that he is "simply a fan of [Percy's]
magnificently fluid prose...."

Agreed. At his best, Percy's sentences are close to or on a
par with F. Scott Fitzgerald's. If you go back and look at
some of the surviving scraps of Percy's adolescent writing,
there is a special luminosity there in his diction and
syntax, as there is in his mature writing. Even his casual
correspondence has a special bosky tang--like that he
ascribes to Bourbon.

I have never seen any good studies of Percy's prose. His
"messages" may or may not be profoubnd, but he has the
artist's touch to make his statements so distinctive and
compelling.

If there's a student on this list looking for a fresh aspect
of Percy for a thesis or dissertation or a book, I think
this topic is overlooked.

Later this week I'll post something about John Desomond's
recent book, WP's Search for Community. U Georgia. 2004.
Anyone else reading it? Anyone want to make it a thread
subject? Got to do something to survive another summer in
New orleans.

Best,

Marcus (who will be very happy when a dear friend of 40+
years, going back to when we were all young together in
Beirut when that city stood for beauty, sensuality, and
tolerance, gets on a plane later this week and leaves Iraq.
Very happy.)