percy-l - [percy-l] Re: Love in the Ruins and Thanatos Syndrome

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: JHForest AT cs.com
  • Cc: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] Re: Love in the Ruins and Thanatos Syndrome
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:15:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jim,
I like the quote from St. Ambrose (very Zossima-like). I, too, need to
re-read LIR, but, yes, Fr. Smith is minor character in the book. He is in
the "Five Years Later" section. The quote can be found in an old
pocket-paperback edition (Ivy Books, published by Ballantine Books, Feb.
1989, pg. 340). Regardless of the edition, you can find it in the last
three or four pages of the book.
Take care.
-David

-In the deserts of the heart