percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:19:50 -0700

I'm with you on Bartlett, Jim.
----- Original Message -----
From: James Piat
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 8:35 PM

Hey Larry,

Did you read Karey's clip from the West wing?   The Bartlett character is my idea of a smug, self satisfied prick  -- "in this bldg when the president stands nobody sits..."  Gimme a break  -- an abuse of power.  Plain and simple.  It's one thing to challenge authority from a position of weakness (however juvenile); but to weild power smugly is --  well, it's not something that pleases me.  Nobody needs a smart ass rebuke about "respect" from the most powerful man in the world.  Just the opposite is called for -- some show of humility and restraint.  That's my take.  But obviously others see the Bartlett character differently.  That's what makes this discussion so much fun for me.  Steve and Karey seem to both like this Bartlett character but disagree about about his theology  -- I tend to agree more with Karey's theology than with Steve's (though both know a whole lot more about the Bible than I do) but I disagree with both of them about this Bartlett fellow.

Jim Piat

--

An archive of all list discussion is available at http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy/hypermail