percy-l - Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:29:10 -0500

Mike,

Today it's all about the image. That's our society today (more dominant in
America than elsewhere a you say below). The image will make or break you,
not who you really are, or what you really think, or what you'll really do.
That's why Lott had to go -- whatever he actually believed. I just saw the
movie "Simone" (with Al Pacino) which is a timely comment on our society --
Simone of course is an illusion, and the whole world is in love with her.
(This is Percy's view on our fascination with stars, too.) This is what
Peter Weir was saying in the "Truman Show" (and btw I love all his movies --
he is a genius, I think, and he predicted the whole "reality show"
phenomenon with the Truman Show, before it ever happened. Ten years ago,
who would have thought that something like the "The Osbournes" could happen,
ant that they'd make a list of most influential people of the year.) The
reality show pheonomenon IS the confusion of "real" with "image." I'm sure
this also relates somehow to The Moviegoer in even more ways if someone can
do that -- right now it's slipping my mind!!

Journalists tend to be liberal so I don't mind the Time, Newsweek, NYTimes
bias as much as someone else might. I can see why it would bug you. My dad
is retired military, as conservative as they come (and despite it all a
great guy) and he watches that horrible Irish guy on TV (Someone O'Reilly?)
that invites his liberal guests on just to badger them and interrupt them.
Ick. He doesn't care what they have to say, or to really discuss things,
just to get his point across that his guest is "wrong." I have to leave the
room. That's the problem with liberal/conservative or Republican/Democrat.
It shouldn't be about the label, it should be about exploring the issue.

I am a converted Catholic -- Steve asks if anyone else reads Percy because
they're Catholic. I first read Percy at 18, before I became Catholic, and
loved him -- for what he had to say about man (i.e.: humanity). He totally
GOT it, as far as I was concerned. I became Catholic at 26 -- when I was
attending a Baptist seminary, with the eventual goal of teaching theology
(so of course I quit the seminary though really didn't have to!)-- but my
becoming Catholic was not because of Percy (i.e: it was less of a causal
relationship than a coincidental or synchronistic one), or not so much due
to the theology, but because of the Catholic mass -- because of the
sacraments. I was blown away by the Eucharist. The Catholics have
something in the sacraments that we need -- and something happens in the
sacraments that the Baptists are missing -- and Percy totally GOT that too.
First few pages of Love in the Ruins. But I never would have known had I
not gone to Catholic mass. I knew immediately I would be Catholic for the
rest of my life. Of course an anthropologist can examine what the sacraments
do on a psychological/cultural level, but I think something metaphysical is
going on there. (Something triadic?)

BTW, converted Catholics are like converted non-smokers -- much more rabid
in their beliefs than cradle Catholics or those that never smoked!! It's
been twenty years for me so I've somewhat mellowed.

I think Percy gets Man (as in men and women), but doesn't get women as a
gender. As far as David's question, is it because of abortion -- well
that's opening up a can of worms, isn't it!! I think one day I'll write a
post entitled "A View of A View of Abortion, with Something to Offend
Everyone." Suffice it to say, it's not the black and white issue most
conservatives (usually middle class to wealthy white males -- and not to
state the obvious, but the very people willing to legislate the act would
never actually have a need for an abortion) make it out to be. They're sort
of like Marie Antoinette saying: "Let them eat cake." But that's not the
reason Percy doesn't "get" women.

The reason I don't think Percy understands women is what I'd said in an
earlier post -- I thought I picked up a madonna/whore complex in his
characterizations of women. I asked, no one responded, but now, reading
Tolson's biography, and the Uncle Will chapter, that view is somewhat
confirmed -- Tolson attributes Uncle Will's lifelong bachelorhood to his
inability to reconcile the "image" of the pure women he admired (whom he
could not be sexually attracted to) with the sexy women he could not love.
I think there's a little bit of Uncle Will in Walker -- not so bad that he
never married of course, but just look at his characterizations. I
attribute this to his conservative Southern upbringing. Also, on a
psychological level, I think the fact that there were three boys and a
distant mother contributes to that phenomenon. I don't mean this
disparagingly at all -- I've always known who Percy was, and sometimes been
surprised that I chose him to study (why not Flannery O'Connor? or Maya
Angelou? both of whom are wise ladies who also "get" it) but I think it's
because he really has something to say about being a human being in the
modern world, something that I'd like to say if I could.

What I'm trying to figure out now is if his language theory is as "on the
money" as his understanding of man in his novels.

KP