percy-l - Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:34:36 -0500

Mike --

I wasn't talking about politics, or Republicans, or Democrats -- Newsweek was.  I was talking about RACISM, and Percy's attitude towards that.  I agree Percy was interested in justice and not labels.  But Percy, and his family, are well-born, wealthy, Southern, aristocratic and interested in preserving the interests of that world -- which seemed liberal on race because it wanted to keep the black in Mississippi, and happy to be in Mississippi, but had a kind of paternalism that was, in the end, self-interested.  While there was certainly altruistic, compassionate, and "justice" motives in the Percy family's fight against the KKK and those of that ilk, it was also mixed with self-interested motives -- nothing (and no one) in REAL life is plain, simple, and purely black and white.  We're all shades of gray.

Read Tolson's biography, Ch. 3, "Uncle Will," and what great-uncle LeRoy asked Uncle Will to do to the black refugees in the flood of 1927.  Percy was more progressive, but if you are equating my terms of progressive/liberal with the Democrat then that is a mistake.  A liberal from Mississippi is hardly a liberal.

I visited my sister's family (in England) for Christmas.  My brother-in-law is British (and a professor at Cambridge University and quite bright) and he said he was thoroughly confused by the Newsweek article.  I asked why, he said because the American parties switched in the middle, (as did the Brits also with their parties), so Republicans and Democrats became something different than what they were -- hard for him to follow.  Read the article -- it's good.  And worth reading, if only in that it describes the world, culture and values that Percy, and Strom Thurmond, and Trent Lott were given.  The Republicans HAD to get rid of Trent Lott -- regardless of whether he still believed in the "Dixiecrat" platform of 1948 that Strom Thurmond was running on -- because he propagated the image of the racist Republican that would be the death toll of the party.  I personally happen to believe Trent Lott is a racist and meant what he said -- as you see in the next week's news, where Lott said he learned a lesson from this -- that he needed to change -- though wished he hadn't had to learn it that way.

By the way, on a personal note, I vote against Republican on pretty much anything.  That does not mean I think Percy would at all, nor was I implying that.  But I differ from Percy on a lot of things, including a lot of political issues, including also his attitude towards women, but not at all on his attitude toward race.

Karey