percy-l - Re: Was Percy ever involved in the debate on molestations by Catholic priests?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Was Percy ever involved in the debate on molestations by Catholic priests?
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 18:53:08 -0400

As an active member of the Catholic church for years, including teaching CCD
(now PSR) and involvement in social groups for young people, including those
groups for people out of college which are populated by young men who are
often trying to decide what to do with their lives, I cannot begin to tell
you how many of these quality (and highly qualified) young men seriously
considered the priesthood -- very much wanted to in some cases -- but chose
not to because of the celibacy requirement. The seriousness of their
consideration varied -- for some it was a passing thought, immediately
dismissed because they knew they wanted to marry at some point (but the
"what if" factor -- what if priests could marry -- was always present in
their minds). Others spent much time, with much internal struggle and
self-reflection on the issue, and this often even included going to retreats
for young people interested in entering the Catholic clergy. In the end, of
the hundreds of young men that I either worked with or knew from the church,
only ONE made the final decision to join the priesthood. Every single one
of the others who had considered it chose not to because of the celibacy
factor.

I read an editorial -- and I can't attest to its accuracy as I don't know
and haven't researched this topic, but if it is accurate, it has very
interesting implications for the Church -- that the celibacy requirement was
not for any deep seated theological reasons, but that early in the last
millennium, Rome gave land to priests and didn't want the church (priests'
sons) to inherit.

The shortage of priests is a crisis for the Catholic Church -- even before
the pedophilia issue came to the forefront. And the two may likely be
related.

Another interesting thing is that a large proportion of priests in American
parishes are Irish by birth. For whatever reason -- cultural I assume --
Ireland has been less affected by the celibacy requirement for priests, so
America imports its priests from those countries that are producing them.

Percy predicted this. Most evident in "Love in the Ruins," of course. To
quote Percy directly from his text: "Our Catholic church has split into
three pieces: (1) the American Catholic Church whose new Rome is Cicero,
Illinois; (2) the Dutch schismatics who believe in relevance but not God;
(3) the Roman Catholic remnant, a tiny scattered flock with no place to go."
Of course, the Dutch schismatics get the worst of Percy's criticisms: "The
Dutch schismatics in this area comprise several priests and nuns who left
Rome to get married. They threw in with the Dutch schismatic Catholics. Now
several divorced priests and nuns are importuning Dutch cardinals to allow
them to remarry."

Percy's criticism of the "Dutch schismatics" is what he sees as a failing in
the church -- organized religion in general -- that it "waters down" its
message and practice to conform to society (and all its sins), and so its
(the church's) message becomes diluted and distorted and ultimately lost as
a result. Catholics did it less than Protestants, but in Love in the Ruins,
a science fiction novel set in the future, he sees it as eventually
infiltrating the Catholic church.

The question is, is Percy right? Was Vatican II an improvement or loss?
And, are married priests the answer, as might be the logical conclusion
given America's dearth of priests, the recent pedophilia scandals, and the
editorial about lack of real theological reasons for celibacy? OR does the
Catholic church's adherence to its outdated scripts and mores serve as a
inscrutable beacon of truth to a lost world, such as Father Smith in the
firetower (Thanatos Syndrome) or John the Savage in the lighthouse (Brave
New World, Huxley)?

Percy thought the latter. I'm not so sure.

KP