pcplantdb - Re: PIW/permaculture.info offline?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: PIW/permaculture.info offline?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:31:54 -0500

Bear Kaufmann wrote:

I'm getting the same problem.
Since it's hosted at ibiblio I tried looking at their system status:
http://www.ibiblio.org/systems/system-status.php
But that gives an error too. Something may be up with their servers. I'd wait it out a bit, and see if it clears up.

You may not be aware that ibiblio has made a big move. All their servers
have been moved to MCNC in RTP. Translated that means that everything but their offices have been moved to the Microelectronics Center of North Carolina at the Research Triangle Park located between Chapel Hill (where UNC and ibiblio's staff & offices are) and Raleigh NC, the state capitol.

for everyone maintaining websited hosted by ibiblio.

I still have interest in the concept and the project, I've just been busy with other things. I've dabbled around with some implementations, but nothing presentable at this point.

I am also still interested in PIW as is, I am sure, Scott Pittman. I hope Stephanie and Rich, major forces in the concept department, are still tuned in.

Lately I have begun working on my websites, lists, etc. again with renewed interest. There are exiciting new things going on, some of which are:

blogs: Google's Blogger (& their new Beta Blogger with enhanced features),
Wordpress, fairly easily installed on ibiblio

RSS: RSS feeds are a major part of the wave of the future, along with blogs -
RSSOwl is an especially nice one

BitTorrent:
http://torrent.ibiblio.org/
ibiblio torrents
Providing BitTorrent access to ibiblio content
Osprey and Permaseed

Google groups - anyone can create a mailing list there, complete with RSS feed (a nice enhancement to email and website message distribution)

Google Gmail - nice

del.icio.us: shared, distributed bookmarks collections, web accessable

Drupal: website/bloglike/CMS resource - best installed, configured and
maintained by programmers; after that users
can make it work for themselves

Picasaweb from Google - free galleries of graphical content (like Flickr and
PBase and others)

annd ...........

Google CoOP CoOp Search Engine (CSE)

set one up, add links, invite collaborators, edit links, etc.
Incredible possibilities

I have set up two, one for agriculture and one for permaculture, soon one for
scythes and scything

There is an awful lot you can do with enhancements offered by Google, even
$$-making addons
They offer a nice Google group for the CoOp, populated with responsive Google
staffpeople -
its an exiciting interactive scene with fixes and addons happening as you
watch day by day

There are still wikis, probably still worthwhile though now users can upload graphics to weblogs and forums and RSS feeds for blogs and Picasaweb galleries are available, easily navigable and user friendly.

Hope everyone if doing well.

Same here and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I hope we can get something going with PIW in its present form or that plus some other easy-to-add features like those described above. There is a greater need than ever to bring permaculture to the World. Just read the news about climate change CO2 buildup, no edible fish in the oceans after 50 more years, stratified economies, wars, pollution, the advance of corporate non-natural agriculture. Permaculture onward, and bring it to the prople with PIW. A lot of rhetoric but the main message is still there, more people will have a better chance of survival with permaculture well integrated in their lives.

Lets try and keep discussion in this list going.

Take a look at my Blog for pix of my farm and how it came to be the way it is.

Cheers,

Lawrence
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl@intrex.net
info@market-farming.com
IM: lawrence.london@pandion.be & lfl@amber.org.uk
Market Farming
http://market-farming.com
Venaura Farm, sustainably-grown produce & garden handtools
http://market-farming.com/venaurafarm
Venaura Farm Blog
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/
Venaura Farm Gallery