pcplantdb - Re: Report to Threshold

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb-piwdev <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Report to Threshold
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:35:51 -0400

webmaster@pfaf.org wrote:

Properties
Habit
Height
Width

It looks like width here means caliper so shouldn't it say that
and specify inch or metric measuremen? Also, what about multistem plants like
some specimen river birch with two or more trunks branching at ground level
(hard to measure accurate caliper here).

Height and width are in metres. I Don't understand about calipers, maybe a US term? The width is generally the diameter of the whole plant not the the trunk.

Caliper is the diameter of the trunk or main stem of a plant, tree, shrub,
etc.
If they are multi-stem the nursery industry labels them as such plus
approximate height
as container or field grown b&b stock, i.e. river birch, multi stem (2 or 3
or 3, etc.) 2-3'
in 3 gallon container or b&b. Caliper label comes from measuring the diameter
of the truck
near the ground with a vernier or digital caliper.

Anyway, a great chance to experiment with a wiki-format. Find the page where it would be helpful to list the units and click ''edit''.

Rich

p.s. Sorry for intermitant access the DB is on my home PC which has intermitant access.

Rich:

I mentioned before that I was going to submit a proposal to the group and
since it primarily involves you I'll do it now.

webmaster@pfaf.org wrote:
> http://82.138.219.137/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
> a semantically marked up wiki with the pfaf and a few other datasets in.

If you can mount a database dataset in a (Media)wiki then are you able to do the reverse after a period of time when that dataset has changed within the wiki, i.e. take all the data in a PFAF Mediawiki and mount it in the PFAF database.
If you kept the structure of the wiki rigid to conform to the field and
record arrangement currently used by PFAF then
maybe it would not be an onerous task to convert back.

Proposal:

1) I could have new webspace created on ibiblio with group access. Could you install Mediawiki there for us to present to the public so we can start collecting guild data worldwide? Maybe it could be structured with certain pages locked so that the data structure would conform to that of Chad's PIW database; if not it would still be worth doing so we can get on with the mighty job of acquiring users and data.
With this we could have something to show permaculture people and Threshold. I think it is important to put something online soon while the PIW database moves toward completion.

2) An alternative would be for you to allow us to use the PFAF Mediawiki for
the purposes described in 1)

What do you think?