pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] a few things...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] a few things...
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:09:14 -0700

As a starting point, I'm thinking that many of the current values in
the database can map to either input or output.
At a simpler level (with no real connection to the backend code) just
reorganize the values in advanced search into inputs/outputs, to get
this idea across to the user. Later on, the backend can implement
input-output connection, etc.

Cool. Still not sure that input/output is enough or necessary. Is
being the color blue an input or an output? I think what things are
is implicit. How about one table of tags containing things like
'nitrogen fixer', 'timber', and 'grows really fast' instead of 2+
tables of further categorizations.
Yeah, I expressed concern that input/output can't hold everything, but as John has said, we should start heading in that direction. In terms of a "Rich Client"/graph-based interface, having inputs and outputs to form the network are important, so it's good to move that way.

In advanced search right now, if I search on Plant Uses for 'timber' or
'fodder' I get zero results (all other fields empty).
This I assume is because there are no plants that indicate fodder or
timber uses in the current data set.
Just installed the DB table, and searched for unique values (Chad, I'm
thinking uses_index shouldn't use a varchar for use, but an integer,
related to the uses_glossary).

Not sure I follow you here, uses_index.uses is a *foreign key*
corresponding to uses_glossary.uses is a primary key. I could add an
integer key as well, but I'm not seeing how that wouldn't be
redundant.
You may have updated the database (if using what's linked to on the website, probably an early version).
id smallint(5) UNSIGNED Primary
uses varchar(100)
Is what I have.

Here are the unique values (all 270):
Abortifacient, Acrid, Adaptogen, Adhesive, Alcohol, Alterative,
Anaesthetic, Analgesic, Anaphrodisiac, Anodyne, Antacid, Anthelmintic,
Antiaphonic, Antiarthritic, Antiasthmatic, Antibacterial, Antibilious,
Antibiotic, Anticholesterolemic, Anticoagulant, Antidandruff,
Antidermatosic, Antidote, Antiecchymotic, Antiemetic, Antifungal,
Antihaemorrhoidal, Antihalitosis, Antihydrotic, Antiinflammatory,
Antiperiodic, Antiphlogistic, Antipruritic, Antipyretic, Antirheumatic,
Antiscorbutic, Antiscrophulatic, Antiseptic, Antispasmodic, Antitumor,
Antitussive, Antivinous, Antiviral, Aperient, Aphrodisiac, Appetizer,
Aromatherapy, Aromatic, Astringent, Baby care, Bach, Balsamic,
Basketry, Beads, Bedding, Besom, Biomass, Birthing aid, Bitter, Blood
purifier, Blood tonic, Blotting paper, Bottles, Broom, Brush, Buttons,
Cancer, Cardiac, Cardiotonic, Carminative, Cathartic, Charcoal,
Chocolate, Cholagogue, Cleanser, Coffee, Colouring, Compost, Condiment,
Containers, Contraceptive, Cork, Cosmetic, Cotton wool, Curdling agent,
Cytostatic, Cytotoxic, Darning ball, Decongestant, Demulcent,
Deobstruent, Deodorant, Depurative, Detergent, Diaphoretic, Digestive,
Disinfectant, Diuretic, Drink, Dye, Egg, Emetic, Emmenagogue,
Emollient, Enuresis, Errhine, Essential, Expectorant, Febrifuge,
Fencing, Fertilizer, Fibre, Filter, Fire retardant, Flowers, Foot care,
Friction sticks, Fruit, Fruit ripening, Fuel, Fungicide, Furniture,
Galactofuge, Galactogogue, Gelatine, Green manure, Ground cover, Gum,
Haemolytic, Haemostatic, Hair, Hallucinogenic, Hedge, Hepatic,
Herbicide, Homeopathy, Hydrogogue, Hypnotic, Hypoglycaemic,
Hypotensive, Incense, Infertility, Ink, Inner bark, Insecticide,
Insulation, Irritant, Kidney, Kindling, Lacquer, Latex, Laxative,
Leather, Leaves, Lenitive, Lighting, Lining, Liquid feed, Lithontripic,
Litmus, Manna, Microscope, Milk, Miscellany, Mordant, Mouthwash, Mulch,
Musical, Mydriatic, Nails, Narcotic, Nectar, Needles, Nervine,
Nutritive, Odontalgic, Oil, Ophthalmic, Oxytoxic, Packing, Paint,
Paper, Parasiticide, Pectin, Pectoral, Pencil, Pins, Pioneer, Pipes,
Pitch, Plant breeding, Plant support, Plaster, Polish, Pollen,
Pollution, Porcelain, Pot-pourri, Potash, Poultice, Preservative,
Purgative, Raffia, Refrigerant, Repellent, Resin, Resolvent,
Restorative, Roofing, Root, Rooting hormone, Rootstock, Rubefacient,
Rust, Rutin, Salt, Salve, Sandpaper, Sap, Scourer, Sedative, Seed,
Seedpod, Shelterbelt, Sialagogue, Size, Skin, Soap, Soap making, Soil
conditioner, Soil reclamation, Soil stabilization, Stabilizer, Starch,
Stem, Sternutatory, Stimulant, Stings, Stomachic, Straw, Strewing,
String, Stuffing, Styptic, Sweetener, Tannin, TB, Tea, Teeth,
Thatching, Tinder, Tonic, Uterine tonic, Varnish, Vasoconstrictor,
Vasodilator, VD, Vermifuge, Vesicant, Vulnerary, Warts, Waterproofing,
Wax, Waxed paper, Weather forecasting, Weather protection, Weaving,
Wick, Women's complaints, Wood.

I'm surprised not to see fodder in there. You might also try Wood. I
think we need a better UI system then a text box. The list is long, but
it is a limited set of values, so we should show them to people.
Perhaps a Select Box, or break them into categories...Medical, Food,
Animals, Functional...

This is the problem with controlled vocabularies and one of the
inefficiencies in loose tagging... not everyone uses the same term
when refering to a given thing. Think of these as tags authored by
Ken Fern. What we need is the ability to fill in what seems missing
in this tag set (fodder and timber in this case).

Implementation wise I'm planning on further abstracting the
search/search results object in order to manipulate it more easily on
both the front and back ends. In terms of a user experience I think
it would work something like the user searches for uses="wood". The
result of this search is save-able (think stored queries in the issue
tracker and elsewhere). The user can then create a tag titled
"timber" and attach it to each result in the query. Actually the
order of operations isn't important... there could be a tag wizard
that guided through this.

I wonder if there isn't a way to do something a little more globally helpful.
A synonyms table for the tags or some such. When searching fodder the results pages tells the user (Don't like the results, try straw or .....).
Tracking queries like Rich has done could help us improve our results, hmm, time to write a privacy statement?
There's probably an even more elegant solution.

Also, ran into a usability guide, this one on search specifically:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010513.html

I'll try and answer the rest of the message later. Got to go...

Cheers,
Bear