pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: Invitation to New York, Spain, and Italy; c/ba]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: Invitation to New York, Spain, and Italy; c/ba]
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:23:16 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we do something different pre
1.0/Threshold commitment. On the other hand, I think that when we
have the necessary infrastructure to handle plants and their
interrelationships well, it will be a fairly simple matter to add the

structure for animals, articles, etc. I don't think this would
detract from the over all goals of PIW in anyway and may end up
creating the wikipedia of permaculture (my dream anyway).

Right on!

One of the ways I see PIW moving is to more of an onion type data
model. While the permaculturalist may spend a lot of time on one
layer of the dataset specifically the Genus species level. The market
gardener/farmer may spend most of their time on the cultivar level of
particular plants. Individuals involved with large scale land
management may look at layers of information on the guild/plant
community level.

This sounds very worthwhile.