pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: Invitation to New York, Spain, and Italy; c/ba]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: Invitation to New York, Spain, and Italy; c/ba]
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:31:16 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
Sounds fascinating, Rich.

The grant has been disseminated, Scott is in charge of distributing funds.

Whoospe a misunderstanding of terms here. By disemination I'm meaning disseminating our reserch findings, letting the external world know about what we are doing. In a traditional academic grant there is a heavy emphesis on this, which normally means writing academic papers and presenting at conferences.

How much does the conference cost? Should we all meet at one of them? I'm
completely serious. I'd rather work for free and spend our grant money on
travel for us to meet each other ;)

Don't know. I suspect this is a pay-to-play type conference rather than one of the top flight academic one.

Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to say. Chad made the point
recently that he'd like to take a break if we run out of money, because it was
more fun to work for free anyway. I'm with you, pal. I don't enjoy
grantwriting. And I *do* enjoy helping out with QA, UI, information
visualization, outreach...all of which I would gladly do unpaid. So it seems
pretty ridiculous to spend time grantwriting just to pay me back for
grantwriting. Especially if Chad doesn't mind volunteering.

I would Love to discontinue grantwriting efforts, and just depend on donations
and volunteer effort. (If you feel you'd like to be reimbursed for your work
thus far, you are welcome to send Scott and me an invoice.) And then use the
rest of our funds to travel somewhere and meet each other?

I might be up for some paid work in a little while. Currently I've a lot else on my plate which I need to sort out first before I can really put in a respectable number of hours, but watch this space...

I'm up for a meeting.