pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Graphing the Symantic Web

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Graphing the Symantic Web
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:41:51 -0400

Bear Kaufmann wrote:

Hi Rich,

Sorry to get back late on this one. But yes, good stuff. This is why I had interest in RDF and talked about it (way?) back.
Imagine if we could take a plant name, and check it against a list of nurseries, or seed sources. They could respond with an "In Stock", "Not Found/Carried", etc. When a plant is looked at, we can show who carries it.

Part of the task ahead is to pursuade those with seeds to sell or those with lists and info on those with seeds
or plants or nursery stock to make that information online and compatible with systems like PIW for maximum data accessability.
An example of an organization with rare and unique information is Cricket Rakita's:
Save Our Seed
http://www.savingourseed.org/
The Official Saving Our Seed Project Home Page/
/Working with Southeast Farmers and Extension Agent/s
in the Production of Organic and Heirloom Seed
-and-
http://www.savingourseed.org/pages/sourcing.htm
/100% FREE Certified Organic Seed Sourcing Service
While working with organic growers, We have found their largest stress to be the lack of a centralized knowledgebase about what seeds are and are not available organically

To save bandwidth one could catch the requests, and store a triplet from the plant object to the nursery connected by the current state. Sort the nursery listing by the lat/long radius from user.
You could do queries against photo-archives, USDA plants, etc, and show those extra sources. One might need to build a layer between some, who might just have a CSV list of plants in their database that just gets run through. Ideally at some point, all of these things could talk to each other, with one standard.

Hopefully the above was understandable.

Also, re: Lawrence's last post. The folks at Planetwork are involved in developing an i-name system, which would provide authentication via one name/password to services that use it (ie hopefully all at some point. :-) Not unlike MS Passport on their sites. Anyway, there was a lot of talk around trust, and a trust network, having brokers that handle the data, and only release it to those with high levels of trust. Your full name might be public, address for friends/people you exchanged business cards with, etc. So yes, there is a lot of work going on in this arena. See http://2idi.com/index.php

This looks really interesting and represents a good start. Hopefully there will be more organizations doing this kind of thing.

Anyway, I'll be out of town for a while, have a good one everyone.

Cheers,
Bear