pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Graphing the Symantic Web

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Graphing the Symantic Web
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:26:42 -0400

Richard Morris wrote:

Check out the Googlezon movie at http://www.robinsloan.com/epic/
for a interesting view on how things might pan out on the web.

Also its worth reading up on the symantic web.

I've been doing a little more reading around on these issues receintly, it seems like there are a lot of the technologies we need are sort of in place.

Web services description language (WSDL) an XML format which describes
the services that a webserver provides.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_services_description_language

I have a friend here in NC who is a free lance programmer. In a conversation with him about PIW
he discussed what his thoughts were about the future of the Web for serious organizations with resources to share and develop.
I have a list of 5 or 6 major items he considered important but one is that the Web will switch to/become SERVICES-oriented
as opposed to the current model of what one can do with a single user client during a one-on-one session. He also mentioned a
movement toward layering those services with appropriate security controls at each level. I will try to find this list and type it up here;
really cutting edge thinking.

What you're talking about Rich is really interesting stuff.
I just bought the O'Rielly "XML In A Nutshell" - on sale at a bookstore here at 60% off. It does have a chapter on XHTML.