pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] no release yet

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: scrub@corrupt.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] no release yet
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:33:40 -0500

I guess that's kind of obvious, but I didn't get the frontend/backend
split completed (yes Richard, that terminology is more accurate).

I did get most of the backend done and I'm pretty happy with it. I've
been taking time to document thing well, so we will have a working API
when I get the release done. Example method:

def GetPlantName(self, plantId):
"""
For a valid integer plant id this method returns a dictionary
with the following elements or None for an invalid id.

"Family"
"Genus"
"Species"
"SSP"
"Common"
"""

The backend implements all the previous methods except for
authentication and comment posting/editing. My test client code looks
like this:

kfml = str(self.server.GetPlantName(self.form_input['plant']))
kfml += str(self.server.GetPlantUses(self.form_input['plant']))
kfml += str(self.server.PlantSummary(self.form_input['plant']))
kfml += str(self.server.DefineUse('Antispasmodic'))
kfml += str(self.server.GetComment(1))
kfml += str(self.server.GetCommentsForPlant(4))
kfml += str(self.server.GetCommentsForComment(7))
kfml += str(self.server.GetCultivarNamesForPlant(4053))
kfml += str(self.server.GetCultivarForPlant(4053, 'Lord Burghley'))
kfml += str(self.server.GetReference(40))
kfml += str(self.server.StringSearch("eleagnus"))

Anyway, I we are finally closing on the land (long story) on the
21st, a very auspicious day, solstice, full moon, and Red Earth Farms
1st Land Day. Yesterday I moved my newly acquired ducks out to the
land and have spent the last 24 hours making them happy in their new
home. Lots of cuteness! I will be a little distracted until
sometime Wednesday when my hangover goes away ;-)

Thank you for your patience. And remember shop smart, shop S'Mart!
Chad

  • [pcplantdb] no release yet, Chad Knepp, 06/19/2005