pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] needing direction

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] needing direction
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:04:55 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:

dev.permaculture.info is current. The latest changes are edit and
delete of comments. Look at plant=4433 for some examples or make your
own with the accounts "Test User" and "Test Two" both have password of
"password". Try to hack other accounts if you can.

Works for me.

I'm hoping that a norm will develop of people replying to comments and
keeping a threaded discussion going under the sections Uses, Culture,
etc.

Hum, not sure if we want thing to look like a threaded discussion.
This will give it a very different feel to a more wiki-style approach.

Danger with discussion is that things could get long and rambleing.
I perfer an environent which encourages things are a bit more focused.

I think we'll need some discusion about this.
Not to worry for now. Its still very dev at moment and the infrastructure is good.

> One thing I'd be very keen to see is mixing in the tanplant data.
> I know the guy who submitted it would be keen to see his data live on > the web. Its also technically chalanging in how we can mix the two data > sets. This seems to fit well with the comment idea. Think of this as
> another large batch of comments. (It would be OK to miss out some fields
> if clashes emerge).

Well, I was hoping that when authorship features where implemented,
that someone [else] would add the data. Having the server seperated
from the client would allow xml-rpc custom clients to add datasets
such as this.

I'm happy to add this. But I'd need some instruction on how to do it.
Its probably easiest if I do it in SQL as its a lot of data to add.

Two problems spring to mind.
1) Latin names may be different. So I'd need to get hold
of synoyms to find appropriate matches.

2) Scheme difference. There some fields in tanplants
which don't fit with pfaf namely

STEM - Stem description
LVS - Leaf description
INFL - Inflorescense description
FRUIT - Fruit description
ROOT - Root Description

BIOL - Biological industrial uses of this plant.
CHEM - Chemistry information about this plant.
COMR - Commercial application of this plant.
PERS - My own personal experimentation and use of this plant.

Are we going to be stuck with just the pfaf sections/heading
or can users add their own?

I think that our dataset should be able to accommodate all pertinent
info, if not we have some schema work to do.

If I can fit this data in, then I'll be happy with the schema!
(i.e. it will be flexable enough).