pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] needing direction

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] needing direction
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:16:43 -0600

Hello all,

Well, I'm currently feeling highly motivated to hack piw and I
actually don't feel like I know what I should be working on now.
Well, I think I should be implementing relationships, but many things
about them are still not clear to me. I'll send out another email of
questions soon. In the mean time I can think of a number of other
things to do but I also need some guidance.

One of the things at the top of my list is expanding the level of user
contribution to plants (creating new ones and adding/editing data) and
other elements of the dataset. This would be done as discussed by my
proposed data model. I feel that my data/security model has gotten
pretty widespread support and unless I hear serious concerns about it
soon I'm going to suggest that we consider it a decision. One of the
implications though is that the current dataset needs to "be owned".
I suggested that this be an uneditable account under of the name
"PFAF/Ken Fern" (Rich is this name ok?). All of this is pretty
straight forward except for the 6 elements of the plant labeled
Culturan Notes, Propagation Notes, Known Hazards, Edible Uses,
Medicinal Uses, and Other Uses. My question is should this become one
comment, six, three (Uses, Culture, Hazards), or some other
arrangement. While I'm in process of moving these comments how would
folks feel about doing the XMLizing of the [42] style references while
I'm at it. I would be writing one-off custom scripts to transform the
data anyway and a little regex magic would just be more fun ;-)

I'm open to projects/directions other things as well such as
implementing a moderation system (need more discussion though), code
clean up inc. client/server packaging split, locales (more
discussion), somebody explain relationships to me, etc. Anyway, I'm
putting this out to my advisory board and need some direction. I
haven't worked since last Tuesday and crazy thing I'm all excited
really feel like doing something.

Weird,
Chad