pcplantdb - Fwd: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:22:24 -0800

Chad, Rich, JohnH, or anyone?

What do you think?

peace
*Stephanie

slowly wading through emails...

Forwarded message is attached.

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:24:15 +0000
Aloha,

You wrote below, "I think more of a CMS (content management system) might serve better than a plain wiki - TikiWiki claims to be a CMS as well as a Wiki, but I haven't looked into it enough to see if it does both the above."

CMS - what did you have in mind?

This is still an unresolved issue, yeah...our "common workspace" for project documents and whatnot. We had the wiki for a while and that faded (and good riddance IMO... :-)

At this point I actually think a CVS (version control system, same as we'll use for software build control) would be just fine for our project documents. Makes them available to all authorized personnel, keeps most recent version synchronized with all edits/changes/additions, keeps two people from doing conflicting edits at the same time, etc.

That's about all I know about CVS though. One or more of Chad, Rich, JohnH could fill in the nuts and bolts and suggest some open source options (one or more of which might be avaliable on ibiblio).

I recall Rich checked out some of these...said SourceForge policy might conflict with PFAF dataset license or something like that.
Don't know if that means no part of the project could use SourceForge or just not the conflicting part.

cheers,

--- End Message ---

  • Fwd: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04], Stephanie Gerson, 03/03/2005