pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Fwd: RE: Planetwork survey link

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, jenwensel@comcast.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Fwd: RE: Planetwork survey link
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:45:14 +0000

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

Did anyone check our wiki before it went down? Or invite contributors to join the piw list? Did anyone read the message Jennifer posted (below)?

Would certainly be relevant now...

peace
*Stephanie

Forwarded message is attached.

RE: Planetwork survey link
From:
"Jennifer Wensel" <jenwensel@comcast.net>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:42:33 -0700
To:
"'Stephanie Gerson'" <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>

Thanks for getting back to me. I checked out the website and edited the
wiki section on the Plant Database Wish List (adding a section for user
functionality and multimedia features). My section's here (first time
I've played on a wiki): http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/PlantDatabaseWishLis
t?action=edit

Good luck with your grant proposal. I'm sure we'll be in touch.

Jennifer

It just so happens that I made my own local copy of the pcwiki way back in oct '02. And there some info in the page for PlantDatabaseWishList
shown below.

Jennifer is this the info you entered?

Rich

PlantDatabaseWishList

The following is information I would find really useful for my work.

Each of those fields should also have a large comment field attached, as some of these issues simply arent' that black and white. I have no idea how a plain database will search those comments....

Many of these fields have more than one entry: i.e. flower colour

BOTANICAL NAME (aka)(there are quite a few)

COMMON NAME (aka)(there are usually tons of those)

FAMILY (helps for identification)

REGION OF REFERENCE (i.e. Southern Coastal British Columbia - this is the region to which all of the information below is tied. Somebody from another region would have to add information to reflect what the plant is doing there. At some point it would help to know what the climate conditions in each region are like, but I don't know that we'll ever get down to microclimate. Plants aren't that mechanical - native strains evolve, etc. it becomes a real nightmare to try to get this too mechanized)

NATIVE HABITAT (this helps to understand the plant's genetic needs re climate, soil, etc.)

DESCRIPTION (this is mostly stuff needed for ornamental use. Because a lot of this is descriptive this information does not easily fit into normal databases. It would be really neat to be able to search each field for the criteria used in the database search)

TYPE OF PLANT (i.e. broadleaf evergreen tree)

NORMAL FULL HEIGHT (this varies greatly across the world, so depends on region)

NORMAL FULL SPREAD (ditto)

RATE OF GROWTH (ditto)

FORM (ditto)

BRANCHING PATTERN (helps with I.D and plant choice for all kinds of purposes (looking for a shade tree? strong scafffold for vines? windbreak?) - maybe it's the same as "form", in any case it's descriptive)

TRUNK DESCRIPTION (mostly ornamental)

BARK COLOUR (ditto)

BARK DESCRIPTION (ditto)

FOLIAGE: SPRING COLOUR (ditto)

FOLIAGE: SUMMER COLOUR (ditto)

FOLIAGE : FALL COLOUR (ditto)

FOLIAGE: WINTER COLOUR (ditto)

FOLIAGE DESCRIPTION (ditto)

FLOWER: TIME (important for all kinds of purposes)

FLOWER: COLOUR

FLOWER : DESCRPTION

FRUIT: TIME (important for all kinds of purposes)

FRUIT: COLOUR

FRUIT: DESCRIPTION

BUDS DESCRIPTION

TOLERANCE LEVELS TO CULTURAL CONDITIONS (i.e. high, medium and low tolerance to specific conditions such as high clay content, etc. - see following. This has worked better for me in the past than normal classifications)

High Clay Content

High Sand Content

Loam

Low Mineral Fertility

Low Organic Matter

Soil Salinity

pH Range

Shallow Soil

Poor Drainage WINTER

Drought WINTER

Poor Drainage SUMMER

Drought SUMMER

Full Sun

Partial Shade

Full Shade

Hot Summers

Cool Summers

Mild Winters

Cold Winter WITHOUT Snow Cover

Cold Winter WITH Snow Cover

USDA Hardiness Zone

Lowest Temperature Tolerance

Wind

Snow Load

Seaside Conditions

COMMON PROBLEMS

PROPAGATION

SYNERGISTIC PLANTS Botanical name: Common Name:

ANTAGONISTIC PLANTS Botanical name: Common Name:

VALUABLE FEATURES

Ornamental

Food / Human

Fodder / Forage