pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: GIS

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: GIS
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:52:27 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
Re: linking up with Permaculture sites in other countries and potentially
involving GIS. Jim Fournier asked specifically about that - creating a
network of Permaculture initiatives. This could be an interesting path to

This is one of the best ideas expressed so far!

Exactly, _permaculture initiatives_! Translated, in part, that means getting
people interested
in doing permaculture where they live. Connecting all these people with and
through PIW
is something we should be about, concurrently with providing an interactive
plant relationships
database for them to use that coevolves with them. GIS would be especially
beneficial as PIW builds
and displays relationships between the various elements of the global
permaculture community itself.
The value of this function will become increasingly apparent as more people
around the globe
involve themselves with PIW, as they see how it provides direct benefits to
them and as the content
of the database evolves qualitatively and quantitatively in ways thet reflect
their own special needs.

pursue (when we are ready) and could potentially be a source of further
funding.

It certainly ought to.

And. Imagine if we could create the software we develop in order to visually
represent the network of Permaculture sites (a la what we've been discussing
regarding the PlaNetwork meeting)? Hmm.

It _seems_ possible to me. This is definitely in Bear's domain.
John S.'s suggestion that we focus on our original goal to create a plant
relationship
database is a good idea but there are other issues and ideas that we must
discuss and develop
at the same time. The main one is getting people interested in using and
contributing to PIW, which
they must see as a resource valuable to them, especially so as they see that
through PIW they are becoming
actively linked with other people practising permaculture all over the world.
The non programmers can involve themselves full tilt with this.

  • Re: [pcplantdb] Re: GIS, Stephanie Gerson, 01/26/2005
    • Re: [pcplantdb] Re: GIS, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/26/2005