pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Hierarchy

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Hierarchy
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:33:12 -0600

Richard Morris writes:
> <snip>
> For example Almond (Prunus dulcis) has:
>
> Known Hazards: Although no specific mention has been seen for this
> species, it belongs to a genus where most, if not all members of the
> genus produce hydrogen cyanide, a poison that gives almonds their
> characteristic flavour. This toxin is found mainly in the leaves and
>
> (BUG This sentance seems to end early!)

Bug in the dataset, I checked. It got truncated somewhere. It's fine
in the PFAF dataset on Ibiblio...

> All other members of the Genus have the same Hazard warning.
>
> I could waffle on about other relationships at family/order/division
> level but I'll spare you that.
>
> We did cover this a while back. I think conclusion was KISS and keep
> things as they were, just having a page per species. But it is an
> interesting point to note.
>
> A couple of minor formating bugs, there could be more space between
> Family and Species name in the listing of matching plants.
> http://permaculture.info/cgi-bin/eden?search=almond&button=Search+PIW
> Also the underlining was one space out
> Rosaceae Prunus dulcis Almond
> rather than
> Rosaceae Prunus dulcis Almond

Good eyes... there are a number of these, probably because of trailing
whitespace in the dataset. I can either spider through the data and
strip out whitespace or strip it out in the data engine. Better in
the long run to strip it out of the dataset.