pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Quite

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Quite
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:35:20 -0600

Richard Morris writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > Adding users is proving to be a little more complicated than I
> > expected, but that is what I have been working on. Most of the
> > problem is that apache doesn't provide a cgi hook to http basic
> > authentication and we need more flexibility than basic auth on its
> > own. I was hoping to have a release with users and comments ready by
> > the time Stephanie got back, but that's only two days from now and I'm
> > mighty distracted by a nine week old ball of black and white energy in
> > the form of a Border Collie that entered my life this year.
> >
> There seems to be two ways to to do logins.
> 1) using http basic auth. Seems like this causes a special popup window
> to appear where users can put in login details.
> 2) Just use a user name/password form, do our own login verification
> setting cookies and such like.
>
> I noticed something in php manual about former yesterday
> >>>
> The HTTP Authentication hooks in PHP are only available when it is
> running as an Apache module and is hence not available in the CGI
> version. In an Apache module PHP script, it is possible to use the
> header() function to send an "Authentication Required" message to the
> client browser causing it to pop up a Username/Password input window.
> Once the user has filled in a username and a password, the URL
> containing the PHP script will be called again with the variables,
> $PHP_AUTH_USER, $PHP_AUTH_PW and $PHP_AUTH_TYPE set to the user name,
> password and authentication type respectively. Only "Basic"
> authentication is supported at this point. See the header() function
> for more information.
> >>>

> Generally I think I'd prefer the latter. Its more what people are used
> to. Are their any standard python libraries for this sort of stuff?

Yeah, I think we need more than basic auth. Currently I'm using the
login module of Jalopy
<http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/jalopy.html> as an example. I'm
not happy with it on it's own because I want more control over the
cookie and it has a lot of features we don't need. I think the
greatest threat of abuse is from message board spammers, which I think
we can avoid by not having completely automatic account generation. I
think/hope that emailing a confirmation link will be a sufficient
deterrent. Until a full release, accounts will probably be manually
generated.

> Don't really know much about this stuff. For comments on pfaf site
> I've never bothered with logins at all, i.e. anyone can add a comment.
> As this does not destroy data its OK in my book.

The implementation I have in mind will not allow deletes over anything
but your own material.