pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[29][12.04.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[29][12.04.04]
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:18:14 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

> 2. Lawrence suggested that we get in touch with the International Seed
> Saving Institute. Which brings up the question all over again: are we
> ready to publicly announce ourselves? Now that we have a URL, are
> decided on our platform, and are hosted on Ibiblio? Or would we rather

I don't see why not. It would be advantageous to make certain groups and
individuals
aware of what we are doing. Most of these people would likely understand that
our
product is in development and not be put off by a lack of features,
information and robustness.

> wait until we’ve spruced up the website, and have something to show?

No need to wait. We will likely be in a better position to get grants if we
have
something to show, although incomplete, and have other groups involved with us
on ideas and development and we are likewise involved with other
organization's projects
and are deriving ideas from them that help us develop PIW. See below for more
on this.

> Even if it’s a list of PC-characteristics to include, and not a working
> demo? I’m fine with waiting, but also think that feedback from a ‘press
> release’ would be valuable in a grant proposal. What do you all think?

It sure would, go for it.

6. An idea I had today while visiting a beautiful farm in Santa Cruz, California. Not that this is necessarily something PIW could take on, at least not in the immediate future, but might be a possibility. Crop rotation schemes can be very complicated. Where to plant what when, so that you are alternating plant families in each bed throughout the season, but giving rotation preference to more disease-prone families, not placing overhead-watering plants next to drip plants, etc. Apprentices at the USCS program have to overlay farms maps from the previous 2 years over each other to determine what ought to go where. So of course I got to thinking about hg. And about the possibility of a program into which you could enter information – crops that must be grown, which families they pertain to, how many beds you have, etc. – and have it help you plan a crop rotation schedule. I agree that this might not be the best program to write, considering that it replaces human thought/skill with automation, which will never account for all the variables anyway.

This is a gret idea, Stephanie. We should discuss this at length here
as it may be possible to include some aspects of this sort of functionality
in our relationships database. Another thing to consider other than crop
rotation
for disease suppression is the need to consider whether plants are companion
or antagonistic
to one another for such reasons as being growth promoting or growth hindering.

On the subject of disease suppression here is a fascinating post from John
d'Hondt which points out that
crop rotation for disease suppression may not always be the best plan to
follow (especially if
you're a small farmer or market or home gardener and use natural methods -
the chemical/conventional farmers
may need to adhere to standard rotational practices):

-