pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[29][12.04.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[29][12.04.04]
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:31:32 +0000

Aloha,

2. Lawrence suggested that we get in touch with the International Seed Saving Institute. Which brings up the question all over again: are we ready to publicly announce ourselves?... What do you all think?

I am for waiting. Vaporware is so ubiquitous, talk is cheap, let's not be just another one of those. Let's actually have something working that is demonstrably PC-centric, however basic.

I mean before making any broad/big announcements. There may be cases where we want to involve others and obviously they will have to know we exist.

3. ...Everyone, please take a look at permaculture.info, and think about logo/graphic elements – I will do so tonight and tomorrow.

I like clean and simple. Clean and simple is good.
I don't like that the words read bottom to top in the logo. Confusing IMO. Other than that I like the logo so far.

5. None of the ‘techies’ responded to this – would it be possible to
sort results by multiple characteristics

Yes.

And display these results 3-dimensionally, so users could visually see how plants fare according to multiple characteristics?

Probably. Not sure what you mean by 3-D display. But we can certainly show results sorted by multiple attributes.

6. An idea I had today while visiting a beautiful farm in Santa Cruz, California. ...

Uh-oh, major feature creep already and we don't even have an alpha... ;-)

Apprentices at the USCS program have to overlay farms maps from the previous 2 years over each other to determine what ought to go where.

Good opportunity for some human community and interpersonal relating.
Spreadsheet would do, technology-wise. And save the maps, for when no more computers (Mr. Original Peak Oil, Jay Hansen, dieoff.org, who lives Kona-side of this island, has apparently decided to retire from his doom-info-mongering and go back to cruising the south seas on a sailboat while humanity slides down into the end-of-oil catastrophe...).

I agree that this might not be the best program to write, considering that it replaces human thought/skill with automation, which will never account for all the variables anyway.

Yeah, that was my original argument against this very project.
We need more embodied living knowing, not more abstractions of abstractions.

However, we recently got a letter from the Whole Systems Foundation, replying to our proposal, saying that we need to demonstrate PIW’s applicability to larger-scale agriculture.

Mollison might holler "permaculture is not agriculture!!" right here...
I think the WSF needs a lesson in Permaculture.
Their Ashland School of Environmental Technology ought to be teaching it, instead of teaching that straw is a "waste product" of agribusiness. Instead of turning it back into soil they want to turn it into a hardboard product.

Their site page on Grain Production says
"Grain production is the key to feeding the growing human population. The yield of grain crops has been increasing since the advent of the agricultural revolution, and has made it possible to develop the urban culture of today supported by a diminishing number of farmers."
Uh, is that supposed to be a good thing...?

At the end of the same page they conclude with
"Modern agriculture is clearly on of the most unsustainable activities currently practiced because its ramifications are ubiquitous in the environment."

Nowhere do they suggest any alternatives. Permaculture is an alternative. What's this nonsense about applicability to larger-scale ag when they themselves say it's clearly unsustainable?

End of rant...

Assuming that large-scale Permaculture is even possible and desirable (I know we’ve discussed this, but let’s assume for now), the tool described above would certainly be applicable to large-scale farming.

It would be applicable to any size permaculture system or systems - why not?

1. Make accounts on bugzilla/scarab – Johns, would you still like us to do this?

Let me have a good look at scarab first. Don't bother with bugzilla for now. Still ironing out a kink or two in JohnH's install on arashi. More news as it happens...

∑ John S.
1. get whatever you need for evaluation set up (?)

In process...see above.

cheers,