pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] checkin

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] checkin
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:11:03 +0000

Aloha Chad,

Thanks for checking in.
I support you taking it easy on yourself in terms of product and process and what you perceive having done so far vs. your expectations.

In terms of the project, developing in Zope is not at all what I
thought it would be. I am very dissapointed in HG in terms of
progress and product, because developing on the level that HG needs to
interwork with Zope is much harder than I expected.

My assumption had been that HG would in fact be developed as a zope product (albeit a complex and sophisticated one). When you posted about some of the tech details of your work thus far, my best guess was that you were in fact working on it from some other basis, writing a lot of stuff 'from scratch' and then trying to integrate it with what zope already provides. I can imagine that would be pretty complicated, at the least.

Let me know if that difference makes sense to you, and how you were actually going at it vs. my guess above.

On a personal level I'm going through a lot as well. I'm currently in
process of leaving Dancing Rabbit (Nov 1st) and trying to start a
small family sized income sharing community as well as a larger
permaculture focuses land trust.

Whew, big job - and good for you, and best wishes.

There are a number of low level
tensions between me and DR members mostly around a feeling that my
current direction is 'competition' for DR

Sounds like they've got some issues there... :-/
Remember, it's not about you.

and that I don't really
respect the choices and direction of DR.

Well, perhaps you don't - there's nothing 'wrong' with that (though they may put that on you anyway...). If they're not what you want you deserve to go create what you do want.

I would like to submit the 33
hours I have for payment for work up to the latest release.

I support that.

> o Keep developing HG in Zope as planned. This is a doable option
although I'm currently not very excited about it. I also am no
longer sure that developing in Zope will be in anyway better or
faster than alternate methods.

Per my comments above, what about looking at *how* you're developing in/with zope? Check and see if you're trying to do more yourself than might be necessary.

o Develop from Eden. Look into ORMs and/or take a week off to write
one. In my current frame of mind this sounds like what I would
like to do, although it means we wasted 33 hours or about 5% of
our current funding.

Not wasted - learning curve, 'mistakes' to harvest and so on. I am willing to bet you learned quite a bit that will be useful doing what you've already done.

o Do something even more radical like just use Medusa (ZServer) and
ZODB together getting rid of all the Zope cruft. Part of the
reason I was so sold on Zope is that I really liked the
development of ack! in ZODB. It might be interesting to integrate
ZODB with Twisted <twistedmatrix.com>.

That would be more radical than writing an ORM yourself?!? I guess it's al relative to what one already knows... ;-)
Speaking of which, Zope3 is maturing fast - how's the ORM/ORB there look to you?

I support you looking at your above options, and any others that occur to you or we suggest in the near future, and let yourself know where you want to go with development that would be fun again.

aloha,