pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] checkin

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] checkin
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:14:27 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

On a personal level I'm going through a lot as well. I'm currently in
process of leaving Dancing Rabbit (Nov 1st) and trying to start a
small family sized income sharing community as well as a larger
permaculture focuses land trust. There are a number of low level

I wish you the best of luck with this admirable and creative venture. Do you
have land
of your/the group's ownership?

The process of moving has
disrupted my food/sleep/work scene and the last week of cold wet
overcast weather with no place to get warm has left me a bit

Sounds like you're in that tent in the picture in your blog.

I haven't really done anything HG related for almost a week, although
the break hasn't yielded the clarity I had hoped for. I have some
requests and some options to consider. I would like to submit the 33
hours I have for payment for work up to the latest release. The

My vote goes for you're getting paid for those 33 hours asap.

actual time is much greater this, but a lot of it was being
stuck/learning and I don't feel the product merits anymore. I can
buckle down and work on something I don't particularly enjoy, but both
my mental outlook and the final product will be WAY better if I'm
having fun doing it.

Try a different tack; you should enjoy your work.

o Keep developing HG in Zope as planned. This is a doable option
although I'm currently not very excited about it. I also am no
longer sure that developing in Zope will be in anyway better or
faster than alternate methods.

This doesn't sound like a great option anymore.

o Develop from Eden. Look into ORMs and/or take a week off to write
one. In my current frame of mind this sounds like what I would
like to do, although it means we wasted 33 hours or about 5% of
our current funding.

Nothing was wasted. I think this is the best new path to take. My vote is yes
for Develop from Eden.

o Do something even more radical like just use Medusa (ZServer) and
ZODB together getting rid of all the Zope cruft. Part of the
reason I was so sold on Zope is that I really liked the
development of ack! in ZODB. It might be interesting to integrate
ZODB with Twisted <twistedmatrix.com>.

Haven't a clue what this is about.