pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] blurbs...corrections

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] blurbs...corrections
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 09:09:06 -0600

I agree with LL this is great Steph, but ....

First sentence: Permaculture is more than agriculture! It is a sustainable design system, that includes agriculture!!, but is not limited to agriculture.

Otherwise, thanks for your work.
Scott

-

This last part is really world class - kudos to Stephanie.. LL

<><>

Vision: Permaculture is a form of sustainable agriculture that
employs nature as its model, seeking to design landscapes which
mimic natural ecosystems. It is modular and applicable to any
bioregion, and bears immense potential for satisfying basic human
needs without compromising those of the Earth. Because it is
relationship-oriented and highly specific to local conditions,
though, it can be difficult to practiceInstead of discretely
selecting individual plants, for instance, relationships between
biota must be woven together carefully, in consideration of a
plant’s relationships to fellow organisms, to the overall
ecosystem, and to the people whose needs it may satisfy. Although
numerous databases offer information about individual plants, none
offer information about the relationships between plants
themselves or between plants and other biota,along with
Permaculture-centric characteristics such as inputs, outputs, and
multiple functions. Knowledge of such relationships is critical
to the practice of Permaculture design, our understanding of
ecological processes, and ultimately, our capacity for systems
thinking. Accordingly, the Permaculture Information Web will
provide an online database of relationships between biota, to
facilitate the process of Permaculture design.

People practicing Permaculture worldwide are discovering relevant and useful information about plant relationships. But, because Permaculture as a field is somewhat un-institutionalized, no central repository for collecting and presenting such information exists. PIW seeks to help fill this void, providing an infrastructure from and to which the Permaculture community may glean and contribute information.. In this way, PIW will support [can we use a nice metaphor here? Like the PIW will act as a waterway, channeling information from diverse sources and pooling it into…or whatever] the emerging field of Permaculture, harvesting valuable information from the Permaculture community and rendering it freely accessible.

Parallel to the manner in which Permaculture mimics ecological principles in its design methodology, the PIW will mimic these principles in its own information architecture - both in terms of how the information is presented (user interface), and how it is stored (what would I call this, if not backend?). The user interface will present information about webs of life in a web-like manner, encouraging users to think in terms of relationships versus individual components. Similarly, (I’ll finish this sentence after I read more about Ecosystem Information Engineering). Simply put, , the message will match the medium, and the medium will foster a more meaningful understanding of the message.

The Permaculture Information Web is created by and for the members of the Permaculture Community. The PIW team is constructing and maintaining the mechanism for cross-pollinating information, but the information itself will be contributed by you - interested parties at the grassroots level. Ideally, the PIW will mimic a natural system (or manifest ecological principles) in its own identity (or function within the Permaculture field), acting as a dynamic organism, co-evolving with the needs and preferences of the Permaculture community, and growing with the information imparted by its members. The PIW team hopes you will both feed from and nourish this fertile resource…