pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] blurbs...again

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] blurbs...again
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:23:26 -0700

Hello all,

Been lurking here for a while.
Have to agree with Lawrence, thats some good writing Stephanie. :-)
John S laid out front-end/back-end quite well.
User Interface is a component of the front-end, and graphic look is a component of the User Interface.
On that note, I'd be interested in assisting in developing the front-end for PIW. I now have a pretty good working knowledge of Zope Page Templates, CSS, and Photoshop to help out in the endeavor when the back-end is ready.

OK, now back to OpenPermaculture.com
BTW, feel free to join up and comment ya'll (when you've got the 'bandwidth').

Cheers,
Bear

Vision: Permaculture is a form of sustainable agriculture that employs nature as its model, seeking to design landscapes which mimic natural ecosystems. It is modular and applicable to any bioregion, and bears immense potential for satisfying basic human needs without compromising those of the Earth. Because it is relationship-oriented and highly specific to local conditions, though, it can be difficult to practiceInstead of discretely selecting individual plants, for instance, relationships between biota must be woven together carefully, in consideration of a plant’s relationships to fellow organisms, to the overall ecosystem, and to the people whose needs it may satisfy. Although numerous databases offer information about individual plants, none offer information about the relationships between plants themselves or between plants and other biota,along with Permaculture-centric characteristics such as inputs, outputs, and multiple functions. Knowledge of such relationships is critical to the practice of Permaculture design, our understanding of ecological processes, and ultimately, our capacity for systems thinking. Accordingly, the Permaculture Information Web will provide an online database of relationships between biota, to facilitate the process of Permaculture design.