pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[21][9.19.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[21][9.19.04]
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:59:37 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

‡ POST TO PC LISTS I agree with Lawrence that we should post once we have something to show, and I’m in no rush. Thank you Lawrence, for creating the piw list. I’ll

Do you want the archives public or private; subscriptions open without
approval or anyone can subscribe
(without me being given notification and the opportunity to review their
application and give my approval
for access to the list - I can remove spammers and malicious users this way -
rather than after the fact)?

resuscitate my initial draft of the post to Pc lists for feedback once the following conditions are met:
-we have something initial to show (no pressure Chad, take your time)
-I’ve written a mission statement (1-2 sentence) for the website
-I’ve written a vision statement (approx. 1 page) for the website (thanks Johns, for clarifying the difference between mission and vision)

‡ SHARED WEB WORKSPACE Still somewhat confused about this, but I assume that this listserv and the permaculture.info website constitute our “shared web workspace.”

It looks like pcplantdb and piw lists, permaculture.info's Plone CMS and the
pcplantdb wiki in
the pcwiki. Group access to a (public) website where we all edit the html and
upload documents could be had also (on ibiblio, where
everyone has ibiblio accounts and write access to the filespace) - this might
be even easier for Stephanis than using wiki or a cms.

‡ WEBSITE A few things:

Following, now that Chad has begun coding, do we want to initiate a discussion about informational architecture and user experience?

Great idea.

Basically, I have pretty elaborate ideas regarding the informational architecture and user experience of hg, and I assume others do as well.

Excallent.

Should we flesh this out early on, while Chad starts coding (and decide on what plant attributes we’re going to present, for example)? Or, are

Yes. I would really be interested in this. Now is the best time and not too
far behind previous discussion
that was similar.

we not ready for this level of specificity yet? I guess I’m eager to initiate this discussion (the most exciting part of this project, for me)

Wonderful.

and think we ought to start fleshing it out now (assuming there will be disagreements!) before Chad gets to a point where either: -he wants to write code for elements that we haven’t agreed upon yet, so he writes it anyway and then has to go back later and change it

Good idea to resolve some of these technical issues now.

or

-he wants to write code for elements that we haven’t agreed upon them yet, so he can’t write it and is stuck at an impasse

What do yalls think?

Do go ahead.

‡ MISCELLANEOUS -Johns wrote, “If people seem likely candidates for serious help with the design and tech aspects of the project, let them on this list and have some kind of probationary period. If they are too high-maintenance and/or
low-contribution within some reasonable amount of time, they don't get to
stay.”

Too heavy-handed, a control-freakish bureaucratic mess that we do not need.
I thought it was already decided not to limit subscriptions.
I have it set up for anyone interested to apply and send me email which I
will post here
for group approval of their access to the forum. Otherwise anyone can send me
email
with email ID's anyone they want in this list and I will subscribe them. Much
better
to know before subscribing them - letting them on for a "probationary" period
then
possibly unsubbing them is not good for PR.

Sounds fine to me. Do we want to define this better, or assume
that we will handle it collectively on a case-by-case basis?

Case-by-case. Find those you want in the forum then subscribe them.

-I’m going to initiate a thread dedicated to “ecosystem information engineering,” the branch of Industrial Ecology I was referring to. Just to give you an appetizer: “The means by which living ecosystems have created robust knowledge systems and information cycles should be understood in terms useful for managing current society’s information explosion. As industrial society evolves toward the information society, holistic models are needed that account for the available energy and material resources required to operate effective information ecosystems, such as service industries.” (To read the entire article this was excerpted from, go to http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/
default.asp?sid=E6D28F5F-B575-47F2-8A1A- 681FC9F9E74C&ttype=6&tid=11735.)

Look at Howard Odom's EMERGY concept. Energy audits. See:
http://dieoff.org/page170.htm

The above example implicitly creates three user classes already - authorized, registered and anonymous - so that's part of a spec as well - user type definitions and privileges.

I thought input from anonymous users would not be allowed or were they to be
allowed
within a peer-review system wherein spam would be rejected?

Chad added:
"My personal desire is to also provide an intelligent search that
queries all of aspects of the database from a single text box."

and

"This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind to start doing with one
one addition and the questions where noted. The addition being adding
relationship elements and allowing authorized users to create and edit
relationships. The relationships would possibly be displayed in some
text/html way in a browser but would much more likely be used by our
GBI package (TouchGraph/FreeMind/whatever)."